With historic flooding washing through the Houston area, we would like to warn you of repair scams that may arise. Everyone has heard stories about horrendous contractors that made the project a complete disaster. A lot of the heartache and stress can be avoided with proper diligence up front. You will see alot of postings from contractors, cleaning companies and construction companies as a result of these floods–This is when people will try to take advantage of the situation.
PLEASE BE CAREFUL!
Here are a few tips on hiring trustworthy contactors to ensure you are making a good decision.
1. Find out if the contractor is insured. Ask for copies of insurance certificates and make sure they are current, or you could be liable for any injuries and damages that occur during the project.
2. Make sure to sign a contract. The contract should specify the work to be done, techniques to be used, and the price breakdown for both labor and materials. An agreed-upon timeline is also a good idea.
3. Do not trust ANYone who requires full payment upfront. Do NOT pay cash!
4. Do your research! Check to see if they have a website, physical address, and/or ask for references. Be aware of door-to-door workers who claim to have left-over materials from a job “down the street” or who do not have a permanent place of business.
5. Don’t be pressured into making an immediate decision with a long-term impact. Although you may be anxious to get things back to normal, avoid letting your emotions get the better of you. Make temporary repairs while doing your research!
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions. We are here to help!